Jokela Country House history
The time of Dufva
In the year 1863
The master blacksmith Henrik Dufva moved to Hämeenkoski with his son (blacksmith as well). He bought the other of Ylä-Aakala houses. It was located in the yard of the country house. The father and the son established soon a nail factory (located close to the present sauna) to the bank of the Paunula rapids. The St. Petersburg railway line was beeing built at that time, so the demand for nails was high and the workshop was successful. Waterpower of the rapids was apparently utilized. The nail factory called Henriksdahl functioned in all only around twenty years.
Around the years 1867-1868
The young Johan (Janne) Dufva built a house for himself to Paunula hill, roughly to the location of the present Jokela. A stable, a cowshed, outbuildings and a building for workers were also built in the yard. A cellar was placed close to the house. Roses, peonies, geranium and other flowers were planted in the garden.
In the end of 1860's
The owner of the Kurjala country house, Captain von Essen, established a broadcloth factory to the river bank next to the nail factory. After the death of the captain the sister of the former rented the factory to the steward Anders Korhonen. In few years Korhonen bought the factory.
The nail factory built to Jokela in Hämeekoski by master blacksmith Henrik Jan Dufva and his sone master blacksmith Johan Berdnt Dufva in the year 1863. The building further back is Anders Korhonen's broadcloth factory. Korhonen built the present Jokela main building.
The master blacksmith and manufacturer Henrik Jan Dufva (b.1811 in Mustio, d. 1882 inHämeenkoski) and his wife the house daughter Maria Gustava Wickholm (b. 1807 in Karjaa, d. 1900)
The time of the Korhonen family
In the year 1873
The income from the nail factory started to faint as theSt. Petersburg railway line was completed. Johan Dufva bought the Palomaa country house as his new income source. His family moved into Palomaa 1882. He sold the Jokela farm to the owner of the broadcloth factory, his brother-in-law Anders (Antti) Korhonen, with the amount of 33 000 marks.
In the year 1888
Korhonen built the Jokela country house to the same place where Dufva's house had been. The low part of the "servants'" end has possibly been a part of the old Dufva house. Nothing more has survived of the spacious Dufva house, which may have been destroyed by fire. The balcony of the new house was completed later in the beginning of the 20th century as a birthday present to the mistress of the house, Rosa.
During the years 1888-1917
The broadcloth factory flourished and Anders was a significant person in Hämeenkoski. He had two sons and three daughters: Hila, Hilma and Siviä. Many feasts were held at the country house. People from other country houses were often seen there.
There was a ring of lime trees planted next to the main building of the country house. High in the midst of the trees was a summerhouse, which could be reached by stairs.
The masters chamber was located at the spot of the present kitchen. It served evidently also as an office from where the wages were paid. The lower hall was dark coloured - black, red and gold. The kicthen was close to the servants' wing. The daughters lived in the end rooms of the upstairs. Also a smaller stairway went upstairs; presumably from somewhere close to the present office.
The garden flourished also during the Korhonen time. Appletrees, damson bushes and 80 currant bushes had been planted earlier. The kitchen plant garden was large as well.
The boys where educated to serve in the factory, but both of them died young. Also the daughters were educated: Hilma achieved a Masters degree in the German and French languages, Siviä went to a gardening school and took the main responsibility of maintaining Jokela gardens.Hilja got married.
From 1917 to 1960's
Anders Korhonen died. Soon the broadcloth factory was sold, the fields and the cattle were let out. The golden age of broadcloth factory and the country house was over. Finally even the fields and most of the forests were sold. Daughters Hilma and Siviä remained living in the house. Hilma died 1947 and Siviä kept the house alone untill 1965 when she sold it to the municipality.
The directors house of the Municipality counsellor Anders Korhonen. Family members in the front. In the middle is moster Rosa, née Widblom. The photo is from the beginning of the 20th century.
Jokela in the ownership of the municipality
From 1950's the beginnig of 70's
The municipality let Jokela decay and the house was even whithout heating for some time. That is obviously the reason for cracks in the owens. Jokela served as a secret playground for the young and could be reached through the windows at the servants' side.
Paunula rapids flyover in the year 1972. There are Dufva's relatives on the bridge. The flyover was crossed by horse when arriving from Hollola.
Jokela in private ownership
Marke and Pellervo Takku ran a catering business and practised therapy for drug addicts. They renovated the house almost for ten years. A thermal insulation was made to the upstairs. Additional rooms were also added there and it now serves as the "hotel wing". When they bought the house even one 3rd of the windows were broken. Thanks for Marke and Pellervo for saving the house!
Risto Sulkanen did large-scale repairs and built a garage and a tennis court. The house was a private home for the Sulkanen family.
Doctor Jyrki Joensuu run a catering business in the house together with his family. Joensuu was an excellent host and often prepared the food, too. The Joensuu family did not live in the house.
During the years 1999-2002
Aulikki Lundgren, a daugther of a small farmer in Hämeenkoski, decided to return to her roots. She had graduated as an engineer from Sweden, worked for electronics industry. After giving up the business she bought Jokela together with his husband. Aulikki developed purposefully the the restaurant and accommodation services.
Raila Aho and Pentti Ek and the young couple Laura and Petter Frisk - two generations - bought the house. In the summertime there are weddings, tennis, enjoying of the delicacies at the summer café etc. In the wintertime the house functions as a restaurant. Also groups are accommodated.
2005 onwards Raila and Pentti took over runningthe place. Laura Frisk started a vetenerian clinic in Espoo (www.friskis.fi) and and Petter is now a real estateagent (www.remax-classic.fi).
Pentti Ek died after short and severe illness in May 2015. Raila Aho has been running the place since with local help. The Manor house is now for sale - time to retire.